Skip to main content

Undergraduate Advising in Psychology


Undergraduate Advising

The Psychology Department offers several academic and research opportunities for students. These include a bachelor of arts (BA) major, bachelor of science (BS) major, and a minor. Students planning to pursue a career in which a background in psychology is useful, such as business, communications, or social services, will find the BA degree to be an appropriate track. Students interested in pursuing professional or research careers in psychology are encouraged to consult with their Professional Advisor and/or Faculty Advisor for advice on whether the BA or BS degree is most appropriate to meet their long-term goals.

Types of Advisers

Faculty Advisors  Your Faculty Advisor will help you discover your interests, guide you in your course choices, and answer questions about your Psychology major. Meetings with your Faculty advisor are made by sending an appointment request through email. You can find your faculty advisor's information in the “My Advising” section of MySlice. Psychology Faculty email are listed here:

Program Advisors  Staff in the Psychology Student Support Office will answer process and policy questions, provide signatures for major and minor declaration forms, and complete degree progress reviews. The SSO is the "go-to" office for finding forms and general questions about procedures. Located in room 420 Huntington Hall, the SSO is open for 15 minute drop-in meetings for Psychology majors and minors Monday through Friday from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm. Questions and forms may be submitted any time to the SSO at:

Professional Advisors  The College of Arts and Sciences offers individualized, student-centered academic counseling for all students enrolled in The College. Your Professional Advisor will guide you with completing your Core degree requirements, meeting your academic goals, and making the most of your undergraduate experience at Syracuse University. You may schedule an appointment with your Professional Advisor here:

  PSY Faculty Advisors will assist you with:   PSY Student Support Office will assist you with:   The College Professional Advisor will assist you with:
  • Discovering your professional interests
  • Guiding you in class selection
  • Answering your questions about your major, career, and graduate school
  • Major/Minor declaration form signatures
  • Psychology Major requirements
  • Removing your Psychology advising hold during Advising and Registration
  • Guiding you in understanding and completing your Core requirements
  • Helping you meet your academic goals
  • identify academic enrichment opportunities



Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Who is my advisor?
A: Those pursuing a Psychology minor do not have an assigned psychology faculty advisor.
To determine who your psychology major faculty advisor and college professional advisors are, please check Myslice under the 'My Advising' tab. You may schedule appointments with your faculty advisor via Orange Success or find their contact informatio here.
Psychology majors do not have an assigned program advisor.

Q: I have a Psychology Major Advising Hold on my account. How do I get it removed?
A: To remove a Psychology Major Advising Hold, schedule an appointment with the Psychology Student Support Office during the advising hold removal period to review your psychology degree status or contact your Psychology Major Advisor.

Q: I would like to enroll in a course that is currently closed. How do I get into the class?
A: We cannot add students into a class that is at capacity. If a course is closed, please continue to check Myslice as students frequently update their schedules and an opening may occur.

Q: How do I transfer psychology credits from another college/university to Syracuse University?
A: To transfer course credit from a college/university to Syracuse University, complete a Transfer Credit Petition form and provide a syllabus for the course. Please submit the Transfer Credit Petition and syllabus to the Student Support Office for review. Note that the review process can take up to two weeks.

Q: How do I withdraw from a class?
A: After the Academic Drop deadline, students may withdraw from classes by filing a Petition to Withdraw form. Complete the form, indicating all relevant class information: course prefix, number, section, and title. Obtain the required signatures. Submit the completed form to the Registrar's Office, 106 Steele Hall, by the withdrawal date.